Join Your Fellow AAUP Members June 12-18
Join your fellow AAUP members June 8–12, 2011, for the Association’s Annual Conference on the State of Higher Education (including the Ninety-seventh Annual Meeting of the AAUP) at the Omni Shoreham Hotel in Washington, D.C.
Events of special interest:
- The highlight of the Annual Conference on the State of Higher Education will be four days of presentations by faculty members and administrators from around the country. The presentations begin at 9:00 am on Wednesday, June 8, and continue until 5:15 pm on Saturday, June 11.
Issues to be addressed include: online education, assessment and accountability, corporatization and research, discrimination, governance, higher education funding, and numerous others.
- Special AAUP-sponsored governance workshops include: Understanding Institutional Data, Making Senates Effective, and Faculty Handbooks.
- Capitol Hill Day, the AAUP’s annual grassroots lobbying event, provides you an opportunity to advocate for higher education. Members visit their senators and representatives and speak up about the issues that matter most to academia. We supply briefing materials and everything else you need to prepare and present your message persuasively. The day concludes with a congressional reception on Capitol Hill.
- Friday’s featured luncheon speaker is Michael Mann, director of the Penn State Earth System Science Center. Virginia attorney general Ken Cuccinelli is seeking a broad range of records, including emails that Mann, a former UVA professor, sent to and received from colleagues since 1999. AAUP has vigorously objected to the attorney general’s request.
- In addition, the conference includes meetings of the AAUP Executive Committee and Council, the Collective Bargaining Congress, and the Assembly of State Conferences. The Annual Meeting plenary (Saturday, June 11) will consider important business items such as investigations of alleged violations of academic freedom and tenure.
Register today to take advantage of our early bird rate ($275). This special rate expires on May 12. Regular conference registration ($300) extends from May 13-30. The registration rate after May 30 and on site will be $325. This year we offer a special rate to graduate students of $150.
Delegate forms are available on the AAUP website.